Padlet

Padlet is my new-found love this week!  If you are unfamiliar with Padlet it is basically like a live idea board where participants can share thoughts, pictures, documents, videos, etc.  Here is a quick video to explain the basics of using Padlet in the classroom :



I am in the process of writing curriculum for my new classes next Fall and ran across Padlet in my Master's class this week reminding me how perfect it would be in the lesson I am working on!  I want to really focus on building creativity and collaboration this year from the very start of the semester.  Our first project will be on the elements and principles of art, which can sometimes be a little dry.  To spice it up I am having the kids brainstorm independently and list ideas, then mix their ideas with their table partners to come up with one master list of ideas with no replication.  At first, I had planned to have them write their lists on big sheets of roll paper but then I remembered Padlet has a draw option!   To utilize the draw option, a user would just follow these steps:


Next year our high school kids are supposed to be getting touchscreen tablet-style devices which will work perfectly with the Padlet draw option.  I have already set up the class board here which includes my example (I used my Ipad and Apple Pencil to easily draw out my idea boards)...




I love that my class will have all their ideas in one place that they can return to throughout the semester to help generate ideas when it comes to pattern, texture, line, etc.  As we get deeper into the design process it is my hope that students will upload drawings of great patterns and lines that other students can share when they are stuck on finding an idea.  Since this is high school, I have set the "user approves content" option so that I will approve the posts before they actually go live on the board just to double check content.  I am really excited about this collaboration format and think I will discover even more ways to wind it into our curriculum for collaboration!

Do you use Padlet in your classroom?  What are the benefits and challenges that you have seen?

Artfully yours,

Mrs. J

Comments