Endless Possibilities with Google Drive...




Google Drive is a teachers dream.  Organization and ease of file sharing, just to name a few, are two of my favorite aspects.  This past week I have continued to work on curriculum for next school year.  One of my favorite elements that I added to my first unit is an exit ticket created using Google Forms.   I really like the fact that I was able to place pictures of artworks in the assessment to check and see if kids are understanding how the elements of art interact within actual pieces of artwork.  This format is so much more effective than a paper test would be!  And the best part is that it grades itself!  I am so excited to test drive this exit ticket with students.  Want to check and see how you fare?  Try out the exit ticket HERE.

Screenshot of Exit Ticket made using Google Forms.
Another aspect of Google that just has limitless potential in the art room is Google Draw.  I utilized Draw to add a color wheel check for understanding into my unit.  I simply found a color wheel that I liked on google images, sent it to my iPad and used a program to remove the text from the image, then sent it back to my laptop to edit the image in Google Draw.
Screenshot of Google Draw Color Wheel Assignment
I added text boxes with all the correct vocabulary so students can simply drag and drop the correct words where they belong. I also included a note of how students can copy and save the image with their own name.  My hope is that I can add a google folder link into Schoology, students can upload their completed assignment to that folder and then I can batch print them for students to include in their art journals.  One really cool thing I learned this week is that withing Google Draw students can press CONTROL + K and Google Search a term that they are unsure of without ever leaving Draw!  I think this is an excellent resource and really sold me even more than I already was on Draw!  Try out your understanding of color wheel terms HERE on the assignment.


As I continue to add to my curriculum and my saved files begin to grow, it becomes increasingly important to organize my Google Drive.  While my folders for high school are relatively small right now, this is actually the perfect time to color code and really set up an effective organization system within My Drive so I don't have to go back later and sort things out.  Right now I have my curriculum resources broken into files by the classes that I am teaching, and within each class, there is a folder for the units.  I came across this really great video that covers not only some of the basics of Google Drive but also a great tip to make your files more visual by adding emoji to the names of them!  I really like this idea as I am really visual!   Check out this video and see if this might be something that would work for you as well:


Well, that's all I have for this week!

Until next time - 

Mrs. J


Comments